-by Chef Linda-
Try your hands at Bo Bo Cha Cha – The Peranakan sweet soup that’s as colourful as a rainbow!
You will need:
1 packet of tapioca jellies – (You can also get these from the stall that sells bean sprout in the wet market)
1 purple sweet potatoes
1 yellow sweet potatoes
1 orange sweet potaotes
80 – 100gm yam
400ml coconut cream (600ml if you like your soup thick and rich)
150 – 200gm rock sugar (do adjust to your preferred sweetness)
1.5 lit of water
2-3 pandan leaves (tie in a knot)
1/4 teaspoon of salt
ripe bananas (optional)
1. Cut the yam and sweet potatoes into bite size cubes and steam till cooked (about 10 mintues), set aside.
2. In boiling water, boil sago until translucent and cooked, drained and set aside.
3. In boiling water, boil the tapioca jellies until translucent and cooked, drained and placed in cold water to prevent them from sticking together.
4. In a separate pot, boil water and sugar and toss in the knot pandan leaves.
5. When the sugar dissolves, add in coconut cream, bananas, salt and the cooked sago over low heat about 20 mintues
6. To serve, put pieces of yam, tapioca, sweet potatoes in a bowl. Ladle the coconut soup over it.
Eat it hot or cold.
Chef Linda’s Note:
Please feel free to adjust the ingredient portion to your preference.
Do check the sweet potatoes, yam are not over cooked.