- This event has passed.
Lemon Meringue Tart
Wednesday 19/09/2018 @ 10:30 - 13:30$99 – $100
[Please note: This class is conducted in Japanese language. For the English class held on Saturday 22 Sep, please visit here]
The Lemon Meringue Tart (or Tart au Citron in French), is one of the many classic desserts found in almost every patisserie in Paris and thoroughly enjoyed by the French throughout the year! It certainly is one of our favourite among all the French desserts simply because it can be oh so refreshing to savour on a hot summer day! Imagine the taste of tangy lemon cream made from organic lemons & Elle & Vire French butter with the creamy sweetness of an Italian meringue spread over a crispy tart, all the flavours blending into one heavenly mouthful! Join us in learning how to make this evergreen dessert!
Part demonstration, part hands-on
The process is roughly divided into three.
1) Tart base (demo): This tart base uses Elle & Vire French butter and can be used for other various tarts. It is a very convenient recipe to know! Since the dough needs time to rest, the instructor will be doing a demonstration on how to make it and we will be using a pre-made tart dough that was prepared before class.
2) Lemon cream (hands on): We will create a delectable lemon cream using freshly squeezed lemon juice from organic lemons and Elle & Vire French butter. In many traditional recipes, butter or cream are often excluded resulting in a really strong acidic taste. But the trend now is of a more mellow one, one even famous pâtissiers in Paris like Pierre Hermé are enforcing and that, is to include plenty of butter and the addition of cream.
From our experience of comparing various recipes and from eating French pastries, a simple lemon tart with a lot of butter in its cream (without added meringue as part of the pastry) forms a pretty good harmonious balance in taste. Having the meringue works just as well and since we’re going to include meringue in our tart, we will be reducing the amount of butter used in the lemon cream. Plus point, less butter equals less calories!
After many tries and experiments, our instructor has mastered an excellent lemon cream, light on butter, and perfect for pastries with or without meringue.
This lemon cream is made in groups of 2 or 3 people.
3) Meringue (demo + hands on decoration): We will be making a rich Italian meringue that will even out the sourness of the lemon cream. Italian meringues are considered one of the most advanced in technicality among the kinds of meringue techniques ( French Meringue, Swiss Meringue & Italian Meringue) This is also used for macaroons and others desserts. It may seem a little daunting and difficult, but as long as you can grab the essence of it, you can certainly make it easily at home. The techniques will be explained in a demonstration format and participants will practice piping the Italian meringue into the tart.
1 x 17 cm tart per participant
What’s included in the ticket fee?
Class fee, ingredients, apron on loan, & recipe.
- Please bring along a container box (20cm x at least 7cm in height), an ice pack and a bag for the box to bring the baked tart home.
- For those who require a box, you may purchase one on the spot. Please indicate this when you purchase the ticket. Only cash payment is accepted in class. For other modes of payment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire.
- For hygiene purposes, please remove rings and bracelets during the classes. For a space for children, please enquire at email@example.com
During her 10 years stay in Paris, Yuki learnt the art of Patisserie and traditional French cuisine cooking. She is a French national diploma “CAP (Certificat d’ Aptitude Professionnelle) Pâtissier” and also a Diploma of Sommelier holder. In her class, attendees can learn French Pâtisserie and traditional French cuisine cooking techniques in simple, easy to understand steps. Yuki now teaches pastry classes at Spoonful!