Watari crabs are often used in pasta and miso soup but in this recipe, the crab is already cooked and can be used immediately after defrosting, thus we try to use it as sushi ingredients.
The use of gagome kelp brings out the umami from the sushi rice making it so delectable to the taste buds.
This recipe is designed and created specially for the exhibition at Japan Booth during FHA 2018.
Japanese rice – 2 cups
Gagome kelp – 5g
Rice vinegar – 50 ml
Sugar – 4 tsp
Salt – 1 tsp
Boiled watari crab – 1 or 2
Fresh lemon juice – 1 tsp
Light soy sauce – as required
Mitsuba or shiso leaves – to garnish
- Cook the Japanese rice with the gagome kelp
- Once the rice is cooked, prepare the sushi rice
Remove the crab meat from the shells and place in a bowl
- Pour the lemon juice and soy sauce over the crab meat and mix together
- Place the gagome sushi rice into a large serving dish and place the seasoned crab meat generously on top
- Garnish with mitsuba or shiso leaves as required and serve.
*Recipe created specially for Japan Booth at FHA 2018